WHAT IS A COOKIE?
What is a cookie? A cookie is a small text file that is stored by the computer when a website is visited by a user. The text stores information that the website is able to read when it is visited again at a later time. Some of these cookies are necessary for the correct operation of the website, while others are useful to the visitor because they can safely store information such as the user’s name or his/her language settings. The advantage of having cookies installed on your PC is that you no longer need to fill out the same information every time you want to access a website you have visited before.
HOW CAN I DISABLE COOKIES?
You can easily modify browser settings to disable cookies.
Warning: when you disable cookies your username and password will no longer be stored on the website login box.
- Open Firefox.
- Press the "Alt" key.
- In the toolbar at the top of the browser, select "Tools" and then "Options".
- Then select the "Privacy" tab.
- Go to "Cronology Settings" and then click on "Custom Settings". Uncheck "Accept cookies from sites" and save your preferences.
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on "Tools" then "Internet Options".
- Select the “Privacy” tab and choose the privacy level you want (move the slider upwards to block all cookies, or downwards to allow them all).
- Then click OK.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on "Tools".
- Select "Settings" and then "Advanced Settings".
- Select “Content settings” under the item “Privacy”.
- In "Cookies and Site Data" you can search and delete specific cookies.
- Type chrome://settings/cookies in the address bar and press the Enter key.
- You will access “Cookies and Site Data” where you can search and delete specific cookies.
- Open Safari.
- Select “Preferences” in the toolbar, and then select the panel “Security” in the following dialogue box.
- In the “Accept Cookies” section you can specify if and when Safari should save cookies from websites. For more information click on the Help button (marked with a question mark).
- For more information on cookies that are stored on your computer, click on “Show Cookies”.